Moving Hacks for a Great Moving Day
July 13, 2022
Where did I pack this? What's in this box? How do I put this together? Where's the remote?
While moving can be an exciting opportunity, it can easily become overwhelming.
From color-coded storage bins to planning a packing supply center, Penske Truck Rental has a few moving hacks to help make things a little easier.
Planning and supplies
- Try the "30-minute" rule by spreading out your workload by packing a few boxes for 30 minutes each day in the weeks before your move.
- Consider overlapping move dates. If you can, don’t move out of your current residence until a week or two after you move into your new place to give yourself some breathing room.
- Create a packing supply center with one place to store the essentials: packing tape, permanent marker, scissors or utility knife and packing materials.
- Wrap fragile items, cutlery and other small or sharp objects with hand towels.
- Create a moving day toolkit that includes things you’ll need on day 1 of your move: a hammer, screwdriver, nails, screws, cleaning supplies. Pack it last and unload it first.
- Pack boxes by room to stay organized while unloading the truck and unpacking at your new place.
- Create three piles: donate, recycle or trash. If you haven't used an item in a year, consider whether you really need to move it.
- Use an easy boxing method, like using color-coded boxes or packing with clear plastic storage totes. Label boxes on both the top and sides so they're easy to find.
- Bag up any small parts or hardware for furniture assembly and tape it to the item.
- Take pictures of wall hangings so you can hang them in the same positions in your new space.
- Start with the closets and pack up any out-of-season clothes first.
- Hang earrings on toilet paper rolls and use jewelry organizers to keep necklaces from tangling.
- Move hanging clothes by placing a large garbage bag over a group of hangers and tying at the bottom.
- Use a plastic wardrobe bar in the back of your car to save room in your moving truck and keep clothes organized.
- Pack your dresser drawers and use straps to keep them in place when moving. If you remove full drawers, use plastic wrap to cover the contents or consider purchasing wardrobe boxes from Penske to easily move and protect your clothing.
- Cover all liquids with plastic wrap before putting the cap on.
- Put the toaster in a plastic bag to keep crumbs away from other items.
- Separate bowls with coffee filters – they provide a great cushion to prevent breakage.
- Use Styrofoam plates between ceramic plates to prevent chips and scratches.
- Take a picture of the back of the TV before disconnecting any wires. That way you'll know how to re-wire it in your new place.
- Tape the TV remote to the back of the TV to ensure it won't get lost in the move.
Do you have a favorite packing hack? Share it in the comments.
Are you planning a summer move? Penske Truck Rental offers free unlimited miles on all one-way truck rentals, discounts for AAA members, college students and members of the military as well as packing supplies and 24/7 roadside assistance. Are you ready to make a reservation? Visit the Penske Truck Rental website for more information.