National Hurricane Preparedness Week: May 5-11
Just weeks from the start of the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season, the spotlight is on preparation and the steps you can take to keep yourself and your property safe during the strong storms.
Hurricanes can cause storm surges, high winds, and flooding. It is important that you and your business have a plan in place in case your area is affected.
National Hurricane Preparedness Week, from May 5 to 11, is a chance for you to review important safety information on what to do before, during and after a storm hits.
The Atlantic hurricane season begins on June 1 and ends on November 30, with the majority of the storms occurring between mid-August and mid-October.
Forecasters predict this year’s season will be slightly below average with 13 named storms of which five are expected to reach hurricane status. Two of the storms are expected to reach major hurricane strength.
In 2018, there were 15 named storms including eight hurricanes. It was the first time since 2008 that four named storms were active at the same time – Helene, Isaac, Joyce and Florence.
Two major hurricanes – Florence and Michael struck the U.S., causing billions in damage. Florence caused flooding to the Carolinas while Michael made landfall near Panama City, Florida and is the fourth-strongest hurricane to hit the U.S.
Preparation is Key
Penske offers the following advice to consumers and business customers on what to do before a storm arrives:
- Make safety your number one priority.
- Top off your truck fuel tanks.
- Move trucks to higher ground if in a flood-prone area.
- Stay tuned to local news stations for weather reports.
- Adhere to all travel, road advisories and restrictions.
- Delay travel into impacted areas when possible.
- Know your evacuation routes and have a plan.
Important Penske Information
Contact us if you need assistance with your lease or rental units before or after the storm:
- Penske Location and Fuel Finder Tool
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-800-526-0798
- Consumer Truck Rental Reservations: 1-888-996-5415
- Commercial Truck Rental Reservations: 1-800-736-7531
Penske Facilities Questions
Penske takes steps to ensure continued service, but there are times when delays and closures may be necessary due to travel restrictions, weather conditions, power outages or a state of emergency.
Please call our 24/7 Roadside Assistance team at 1-800-526-0798 to confirm the open or closed status of a Penske facility.
Additional Helpful Resources
- U.S. DOT National Traffic and Road Closures and Advisories by State
- Federal Emergency Management Association(FEMA)
- FEMA Blog – Emergency Updates and Preparedness
- Ready.gov – Hurricane Preparedness
- National Hurricane Center Storm Updates
- American Red Cross Hurricane Tips
By the “Move Ahead” Staff