Spring’s warmer temperatures and sun-filled days also mark the start of the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane season and the potential for strong storms that can inflict significant personal and property damage.
Forecasters predict this year’s season will be above average with 14 named storms including seven hurricanes of which three are expected to be major storms.
National Hurricane Preparedness Week, from May 6 to 12, is a chance for everyone to review key personal and business preparedness plans including information on what to do before, during and after a storm hits.
The Atlantic hurricane season begins on June 1 and ends on November 30, with the majority of the storms occurring between mid-August and mid-October.
Hurricanes can cause storm surges, high winds, tornadoes and flooding. It is important to have a plan in place in case your area is affected.
Last year, three major hurricanes – Harvey (Louisiana and Texas), Irma (Florida) and Maria (Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) – struck the U.S. and account for some of the costliest storms on record, according to the National Hurricane Center.
Preparation is Key
Penske offers the following advice to consumers and business customers on what to do before a storm arrives:
- Make safety your number one priority.
- Top off your truck fuel tanks.
- Move trucks to higher ground if in a flood-prone area.
- Stay tuned to local news stations for weather reports.
- Adhere to all travel, road advisories and restrictions.
- Delay travel into impacted areas when possible.
- Know your evacuation routes and have a plan.
Important Penske Information
Contact us if you need assistance with your lease or rental units before or after the storm:
- Penske Location and Fuel Finder Tool
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-800-526-0798
- Consumer Truck Rental Reservations: 1-888-996-5415
- Commercial Truck Rental Reservations: 1-800-736-7531
Penske Facilities Questions
Penske takes steps to ensure continued service, but there are times when delays and closures may be necessary due to travel restrictions, weather conditions, power outages or a state of emergency.
Please call our 24/7 Roadside Assistance team at 1-800-526-0798 to confirm the open or closed status of a Penske facility.
Additional Helpful Resources
- U.S. DOT National Traffic and Road Closures and Advisories by State
- Federal Emergency Management Association(FEMA)
- FEMA Blog – Emergency Updates and Preparedness
- Ready.gov – Hurricane Preparedness
- National Hurricane Center Storm Updates
- American Red Cross Hurricane Tips
By “Move Ahead” Staff