Precaution Focus of National Hurricane Preparedness Week: May 7-13
Spring, with its sun-kissed days and warmer temperatures, also signals the beginning of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season, featuring storms with the potential to inflict significant personal injury and property damage.
Although forecasters predict that the season, which runs between June 1 and Nov. 30, will be slightly less active than in previous years, drivers – both consumers and professional truck drivers – should take precautions to ensure their safety when navigating wind-and-rain-swept roadways.
This week’s observance of National Hurricane Preparedness Week, from May 7-13, is a chance for everyone to review key preparedness plans, including what to do before, during and after a storm hits.
Forecasters expect 11 named storms, four hurricanes and two major hurricanes this season. A major hurricane is a Category 3 or stronger. In 2016, the season produced 15 named storms, seven hurricanes and three major hurricanes – the most active season since 2012.
Hurricanes can cause storm surges, high winds, tornadoes and flooding. It is important to have a plan in place in case your area is affected.
Preparation is Key
Penske offers the following advice to consumers and business customers on what to do before a storm arrives:
- Make safety your number one priority.
- Top off your truck fuel tanks.
- Move trucks to higher ground if in a flood-prone area.
- Stay tuned to local news stations for weather reports.
- Adhere to all travel, road advisories and restrictions.
- Delay travel into impacted areas when possible.
- Know your evacuation routes and have a plan.
Important Penske Information
Contact us if you need assistance with your lease or rental units before or after the storm:
- Penske Location and Fuel Finder Tool
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-800-526-0798
- Consumer Truck Rental Reservations: 1-888-996-5415
- Commercial Truck Rental Reservations: 1-800-736-7531
Penske Facilities Questions
Penske takes steps to ensure continued service, but there are times when delays and closures may be necessary due to travel restrictions, weather conditions, power outages or a state of emergency.
Please call our 24/7 Roadside Assistance team at 1-800-526-0798 to confirm the open or closed status of a Penske facility.