Mike and Diane Duff received the “Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser” award from the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Berks Regional Chapter, Pennsylvania.
Mike Duff says giving back to his community is “a big part of who we are and our lives here.”
Duff, Penske’s senior vice president of government relations and chief compliance officer, and his wife Diane received the “Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser” award from the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Berks Regional Chapter, Pennsylvania, for their commitment to improving Berks County.
The AFP presented the award Nov. 13 – National Philanthropy Day – to celebrate individuals such as Mike and Diane, corporations and foundations who make a difference year-round.
In his acceptance speech, Duff shared, “We’re humbled to receive this award. There are so many people in this community who work so hard to raise funds for our non-profit and philanthropic organizations and who are well-deserving of this sort of recognition. Please know that your commitment to improving lives in our community continuously inspires us to do our part.”
Residents of Reading, Pennsylvania, Mike and Diane co-chaired the 2011 United Way of Berks County Campaign, raising more than $9 million.
“Serving as co-chairs set us on a path to do more and more in the community,” said Duff, who has worked at the Penske headquarters in Reading for nearly 25 years. “We both have been blessed with so many wonderful things in our lives. We feel it’s our responsibility to give back to a community where we’ve lived for more than 24 years.”
After their successful campaign in 2011, Mike and Diane served as co-chairs of United Way’s Tocqueville Society Cabinet in 2013 and 2014.
Duff currently serves as vice chair of United Way of Berks County’s Board of Directors and serves on the organization’s Executive and Finance Committees. Diane also serves on the United Way’s Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
Outside the United Way, they are serving as co-chairs of the 2015 Berks Women in Crisis Celebration of Peace Event and have served as co-chairs of the Berks Deanery for the 2014 Bishop’s Annual Appeal for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Allentown.
Duff also serves his community through these positions:
- Reading Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors
- Greater Reading Economic Partnership’s Executive and Development Committees
- Chairperson, Penn State Health St. Joseph’s Audit and Compliance Committee
- John Paul II Center for Special Learning Board of Directors
- Immediate Past President of the Greater Philadelphia/Delaware Valley Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel
- Chair of the Government Relations Committee of the Truck Lending and Leasing Association
- Leads the Lector Ministry at St. Ignatius Loyola Parish
Diane’s philanthropic work includes:
- Berks Women in Crisis Committee Member 2015 “Walk for No More” event
- Co-Chair of St. Ignatius Food Pantry
- Member of the St. Vincent de Paul Society at St. Ignatius
- Bishops Annual Appeal Trust Advisor Board Member for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Allentown
The Berks Regional Chapter has nearly 70 members comprising development directors, consultants, grant writers, board members and fundraising volunteers. The local chapter provides professional, educational, training, mentoring, and networking opportunities to philanthropic volunteers and professionals in Berks County and surrounding communities.
By Kandace Wertz