College Student Moving Tips and Discounts
It was a great summer but now it’s time to head back to class. Whether you’re a freshman moving to college for the first time with help from your parents or a senior with a great off-campus apartment --Penske Truck Rental can help make your college move easier. With over 40 years in the business, Penske offers these tips to help make your college move go smoothly:
- Truck Selection. Most college students choose a 12-foot or 16-foot Penske rental truck to move as these trucks will likely fit the contents of a dorm or small apartment.
- Reserve Early. August is a peak moving time for college students and families. So, it’s a good idea to reserve your rental truck early. Penske recommends reserving your rental truck and any moving accessories at least two weeks in advance – trucks are guaranteed with every Penske reservation.
- Reserve Online. Our new mobile site makes it easy to reserve your Penske rental truck from virtually any smartphone.
- Pack Smart. Bring only what you really need. Load the heaviest items on the truck first. And, to avoid injury, always bend your knees and lift with your legs. If you have a roommate, be sure to ask what they’re bringing, to conserve room in your dorm or apartment.
- Use Accessories. Penske also sellsboxes, packing tape, bubble pack.
- Think Safety & Security. Trucks are taller, wider and heavier than standard consumer vehicles. Drive slower and take extra precautions. When traveling, park in well-lit areas and padlock the rear door. Penske offers 24/7 emergency roadside assistance just in case you have a problem.
- Call Ahead. Call your college or university housing office or campus security ahead of your move to find out if they have any restrictions or suggestions about parking your rental truck while you unload it.
Finally, with most of your belongings packed tightly away, create a travel bag for moving day to keep important paperwork, credit cards, identification, a change of clothes, drinks and snacks close at hand.
Visit PenskeU.com to learn more about our college student discounts on truck rentals. After reserving your rental truck from Penske, “Like” us on Facebook and tell us about your move back to campus. Have a great year and we hope to see you again in the spring.
By “Move Ahead” Staff